Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?
Looking back at my work throughout the year, it is interesting to see how much I have developed my media skills from the start of the course to producing my final film sequence. Clearly, I have made substantial improvements in the quality of my work. Obvious development can be seen through my editing capability, shot variation and general proficiency when submitting my high quality work.
Firstly, I have become more aware of the importance of stability by using simple, easy to use equipment such as a tripod. Using a tripod reduces camera movement and improves picture quality making the image more defined and professional. In my final sequence, it is obvious to see that I used a tripod for almost every shot, as the quality looks crisp and extremely clean. By contrast, when looking back at my Preliminary Task at the beginning of the year, it is apparent that I lacked confidence and experience behind the camera as not all the shots were filmed using a tripod. As a result, some of the shots were poor quality, rough and most obviously, unprofessional. However, most importantly, I learnt from my mistakes and used my experience positively when creating my final film sequence.
Additionally, I have developed my use of camera angles and shot variation over the length of the course through constant experimentation and practice. I have certainly become more adventurous with my choice of positioning and levels in order to make my final sequence dynamically interesting and intriguing from the audiences’ perspective. A good example of experimentation was when I completed my Mundane Task. This enabled me to try many different shots from a variety of angles allowing me to be creative and expressive. After completing this task, I learnt the importance of positioning when trying to create a particular sense of atmosphere i.e. low angle to make the actor come across as powerful, and gained an understanding of what shots work in different situations. I also learnt how important it is to be aware of your surroundings when filming as things can change and certain things can move (the audience won’t understand if something randomly disappears).
When filming my preliminary task, I learnt the significance of the 180-degree rule. The 180-degree rule is a basic guideline regarding the on-screen spatial relationship between a character and another character or object within a scene. The 180-degree rule enables the audience to visually connect with unseen movement happening around and behind the immediate subject. As said, it is extremely important that the audience completely understand what is going throughout the scene (in my task you can see that my dog disappears when my sister opens the fridge). Besides this, the editing of the clips alongside one and other showed little fluency and skill. Furthermore, i had problems when focusing the camera (clips appear jumpy). Although this didn’t look right and was unprofessional, I believe that I learnt from this experience and have been able to use what I learnt in the creation of my final opening (made sure i didn’t make the same mistakes).
I used complex software applications over the course of the year that enabled me to create professional videos boasting high quality and ability. At the start of the year, we were given a Title Sequence Task that was aimed to help us understand when to use appropriate titles in a film opening. To start of with, I was inexperienced and unsure when using software systems such as Adobe Premiere and After Effects but with development, I learnt how to use it effectively and efficiently so that by the time I created my final piece, I was confident and totally comfortable to work completely independently. In my Title Sequence Task, my titles pop up too quickly and the font is not effective for the movie I chose. Although this was not ideal, it enabled me to learn from my mistakes and improve with practice. The small tasks we completed in preparation throughout the year were extremely helpful when it came to creating my final piece as I already had an idea of what I needed to do and how to do it.